Friday, January 21, 2011

My New New Years Resolutions

My original new years resolution was to worry less. Three weeks into the year I'm sticking to that resolution pretty easily. It helps that life is simpler now than it has been in years. Brenden's new ear tubes are a big help too - knowing that he's happy and comfortable makes life a lot smoother for all of us.

I've found a new way to deal with worry that makes a big difference. If I'm worrying about something stupid (and 98% of the time it's stupid), I make time to focus on the problem and identify possible solutions. I like to do this in a sort of "worry journal." I focus on how the problem makes me feel, and a lot of time that helps me realize the worry is causing a lot more grief than is warranted. Trying to identify solutions is the most helpful part of all. If there's nothing I can do, what's the point in worrying? If there is something I can do, I write out the steps to take, then mark them on my calendar. Voila, problem solved. Whether there's a solution or not, after my worry session I realize there's no point in fretting over the problem anymore.

As for money worries (the bulk of my worries), Adam and I have started having a "money meeting" every week. We check to see how well we're sticking to our budget and take care of paying bills. This is a big relief for me. We share the responsibility of managing our money, and I only let myself fret about money during that time. The rest of the week, it doesn't really matter how little money we have!

So I found some new things I'd like to improve in my life. These are things that I had to let go of during Brenden's infant stage. Looking back I'm blown away by how hard life was back then. Every spare second of my day was filled to the brim with demands. Now Brenden is sleeping well and he doesn't need 5 things from me all at the same time while he's awake. So here are the things I want to accomplish:

1. Be to work on time (I am cursed with tardiness. I am always 2-5 minutes late, every day. I cannot explain this phenomenon, but I plan to beat it.)

Plan of Action: Get up 5 minutes earlier, every day, until I start getting to work on time. Knowing that I'll get less sleep the next night if I don't get my butt in gear should help motivate me to move faster.)

2. Keep in better touch with my family.

Plan of Action: To keep time from getting away from me, I will make a note on my calendar to remind me to call my family members who live far away. I know that's a bit Type-A, but that kind of stuff works for me.

3. Exercise

Plan of Action: We just cleaned up our basement and have a nice area with a TV to do workout DVDs. I can do a 20-30 minute workout after B goes to bed and still have plenty of time to read or watch TV. I'm also going to go walking over lunch with a friend on nicer days. In all I'd like to exercise 3 times a week, whether that's an exercise DVD, a walk, or even a fun yoga class.

No comments: